Friday 31 August 2012

Apple, Date and Heather Honey cake

The call to cake is one that calls us all, well tonight it called me. Actually I just wanted something sweet and I couldn't be bothered to walk to the shop so I raided my cupboards to see what I could make a cake out of.

1 apple, a small amount of dates and some honey later I made a basic cake mix and added the recent discoveries.

I mixed the apples with the flour first because I'm sure I've read somewhere that it stops them sinking straight to the bottom of the cake, it seemed to work.

The resulting cake is a slightly dense, in a good way, with slight chewiness and the odd crunch from the apple. the honey provides lots of flavour considering it was only a tbsp. Make sure you get a skewer right in the middle to check the cake, i didn't and it was slightly undercooked. Apologies for the iffy pictures, I need a cake stand. 

Apple, Date and Heather Honey Cake
Ingredients
150g SR flour
150g butter
150g Light brown soft sugar
3 eggs
80g dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1 small apple
1 tbsp good quality honey

Cream the butter with the sugar until fluffy
Beat in the eggs, one at a time
Add the honey to the mix
Mix the apples with the flour then add then fold into the mixture
Fold into the dates
Pour into a greased/lined cake tin, I used a 18cm tin.
Bake for 40 -50 minutes until golden brown and a skewer can be inserted and removed clean.

Serve and Enjoy



1 comment:

  1. great tip on the apple and flour! I have an apple cake recipe that I already do love (though will def give yours a go one day!) but the apples always sink, so will try this ace tip out. x

    ReplyDelete