Thursday 12 April 2012

Little Jam Cakes

Today I got the cake munchies. Unfortunately my house was empty of such baked goodness. The solution to this end of the world problem is of course to get the apron on and make some cake. Usually in this case I would make a simple lemon cake which usually solves any crisis for a few days but for a change I had a little browse through my books and came across this little recipe in Queen Mary Berry's 100 Cakes and Bakes which ticked all the boxes; Cake - check. Quick and Easy -check. Tasty - but of course.

The recipe suggested using blackcurrant jam, but my cupboards are full of various half eaten jam pots so I varied it a little;

Green Fig Jam
Lemon curd
Homemade Marmalade - courtesy of the OH's Grandma
Apple and Blackcurrant Jam

I also used a bit more spices than the book suggested, which turned these into gingery cinnamon cakes, always a good thing.

Little Jam Cakes
Ingredients
225g SR Flour
50g butter
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
100g Caster sugar
1 Large Egg
5 Tbsp Milk
Jams

Method
Preheat your oven to 200C/180C(fan).
Rub the butter into the flour and spices, until it resembles breadcrumbs
Stir in the sugar.
Beat the egg and milk together.
Add the egg and milk a little at time until the mixture comes together into a stiff dough, you may not need all the liquid.
Divide into balls as big or small as you like, roll in your hands, place on a greased baking tray and flatten a little bit.
Using the other end of a wooden spoon, make a hole in each one.
Fill up with your chosen jam.
Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
Serve warm.

Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. perfect for the cake munchies... I may have to whip up a batch right now... maybe with some peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were my Dad's favourites. I used to bake them for him of an evening when I was about 13 or 14. They are so quick and easy to make, we called them Jammy Buns.

    ReplyDelete