Saturday 7 January 2012

Slow Roasted Pork Belly with a Chorizo Ragu

As part of making my own bacon, I had to trim down the bellies to make them fit, this left me with a nice chunk of pork belly to do something with (it's a hard life ain't it).
So I decided to cook it very slowly using a few things in my fridge and cupboards including (wahey) cooking chorizo.

As I live alone I cooked this for one but it can be easily scaled up to suit various numbers

Slow Roasted Pork belly with a Chorizo Ragu
Ingredients
1 decent sized piece of pork belly
50g cooking chorizo, cut into small pieces
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, sliced into small pieces
1 leek, thinly sliced
half a tin of tomatoes
Ground black pepper and salt

Method
Score the skin of the belly and season with salt and pepper, set aside.
Fry the onion and chorizo for a minute or two
Add the rest of the veg and fry for 5 minutes or so to slightly soften
Mix in the tomatoes.
Pour into a casserole dish and lay the bellies on top.
Cover with foil and roast in a preheated oven 180-200C for an hour n half.
Remove from the oven and serve with some spuds if you like.

Enjoy

5 comments:

  1. Gary that looks melt in your mouth amazing. I really enjoyed the pictures but you are making me hungry so going off to scour the cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. god pork belly is the best isn't it? We made it on New Years Day and I just love it... your ragu looks like a wonderful acommpliement

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum! I love pork belly. It is one of my favourite cuts. Yours looks superb. I can almost smell it from here... almost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pork belly is one of my favourite parts of the pig. Perfect ration of fat: meat: skin in my opinion. Nice idea on the chorizo ragu too! More piggy love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture's making my mouth water! I've tried a few places around Hudds, though I agree it is better for beer.

    ReplyDelete