Monday 23 January 2012

Chicken Tikka - A Random Recipe

This months random recipe challenge from Dom at Belleau Kitchen  was to use a cookbook that we had been given for Christmas. I received a couple of excellent books for Christmas including Masterchef at Home and the River Cottage Meat and Fish books.

I opted for the Meat book, a truly excellent meaty tome covering every type of meat in great detail and well worth adding to your collection. I flicked through but for once I stopped near the back instead of somewhere randomly in the middle. At the back of this book are a variety of mini recipes for meat marinades, accompaniments, trimmings etc..

I randomly landed on a page and immediately the recipe for a Tikka Marinade sprang out at me. The recipe was purely for the marinade and didn't given any recommendations for which cut of meat. So in honour of our fearless random recipe leader, I opted for Chicken Thighs, although I imagine it would be rather good on other cuts.

Chicken Tikka
Ingredients
6 chicken thighs
1 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Natural Yoghurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp garam masala
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp ground fenugreek
golf ball sized bit of fresh ginger (grated)
4 large garlic cloves, peeled and squished
1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
2-4 chillies, depending on size and heat, finely chopped

Method
Mix all ingredients into a large bowl
Slash the chicken thighs
Add to the bowl and mix around with the marinade until well covered.
Leave for a few hours or overnight

Now in an ideal world I would have a Tandoor in the middle of my kitchen for such moments like this, however an oven at 200C for about 20 minutes will do fine, or use a barbecue if it's in the summer time and the weather is high and you can chase right up and touch the sky....ahem....I'll stop now.

Remove from the oven, drizzle a little lemon juice over them and serve however you like.

Verdict
Good God, I must have picked some nuclear strength chillies in making this. Beside the searing heat, these are so so good, tender juicy chicken, delicious blend of spices and I will definitely be making these again. next time I'll tone down the chili and marinade overnight. Now if you will excuse me, I need to find milk.

Enjoy

5 comments:

  1. That's a fair amount of chillies and chilli powder but it sounds really good to me. I hope you've cooled down a little by now. What an excellent idea to use chicken thighs as a tribute to our beloved RR leader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. go chicken thighs!!!!!!!... go go go!!!!!!... LOVELY recipe and what a brilliant random pick indeed. Excellent excellent recipe, really hot, just the way I like it... thank you so much for taking part x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious but perhaps too much chilli for my liking. And chicken thighs... I think Dom will approve :) Goodness, I need to get cooking with my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chili roulette always adds some fun to cooking! Sometimes one makes hardly any impact, and other times it blows your head off. These look delicious though - and you can't see the heat in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lot of chilli!! But the chicken looks delicious. Great random pick I think i'll give this a go tonight. GG

    ReplyDelete