Saturday 8 October 2011

Creamy Chicken and Pumpkin

My aim this month is to complete and enter more than one bloggers challenge, I usually enter Doms brilliant random recipe challenge but this month I wanted to spread my wings...
I spied a nice little challenge over at What Kate Baked asking us to submit recipes based on an autumnal theme. My first thought did spring to a pumpkin pie, having never made one and every year promising myself I will make one, but with the last random recipe challenge finishing up with me cooking another tart, I decided to have a browse at what else I could cook. I stumbled across this nice little recipe on BBC Good Food and decided to give it ago.

Creamy Chicken and Pumpkin
Ingredients
20g pack dried porcini
1.5kg free range chicken, jointed in 8 pieces
1 lemon, halved
2 tbsp olive oil
25g butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
300g pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 2cm cubes
200g chestnut mushrooms
284ml carton double cream

Method
Soak porcini in 300ml hot water for 30 mins.
Skin chicken and rub with lemon
Heat oil in a pan and brown chicken on all sides
Transfer to a casserole dish
Heat oven to 180C/160C(fan)
Melt the butter in a medium pan, once it stops foaming, add the onion and fry until golden
Remove the porcini from the water, rinse, pat dry and chop small.
Strain the porcini water, leaving the last spoonful.
Add the porcini and pumpkin to onions and saute for 5 minutes.
Add the fresh mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes
Stir in the cream and 5 tbsp of the porcini water
Simmer for 10 mins until slightly reduced
Pour over the chicken
Cover and cook for around 40 minutes, add a bit of water if the sauce becomes to dry.

Enjoy.

Verdict
Deliciously autumnal with lovely mushroomy flavours and sweet pumpkin. If you can't be bothered jointing a chicken just do what I did and buy 8 chicken thighs, sorted. Oh and brown the chicken more than I did, rookie mistake *hangs head in shame*.


2 comments:

  1. this is my perfect meal! you know how much I love those chicken thighs and with the creamy pumpkins... ahhh, heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks utterly delicious Gary, thank you very very much for entering the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete