Sunday 13 May 2012

Chocolate Guinness Cake

Alright I'll admit it, I'm not the biggest fan of Nigella, in fact she irritates me (awaits to be lynched). However this recipe may go a small amount of the way to remove some of that irritation. I was shown this recipe the other day and after very little persuasion (it is cake after all) I decided to give it ago this weekend, having nothing yet on the baking agenda.

This cake is a bit different to what you would normally expect and can be unnerving if you have never used this method before to make a gingerbread for instance. It involves a lot of melting and stirring and you end up with a very liquidy cake batter, however follow the measurements exactly and it will turn out fine.

Recipe available here: chocolate guinness cake at Nigella.com

Verdict
Soft, squidgy, chocolaty, deliciously moist. It's like the recipe description says: gingerbread without the spices and is one of the nicest chocolate cakes I've eaten, the Guinness aspect is very subtle also. If you can't be bothered with the topping this cake would be fine without it. She stills annoys me though but slightly less than before this cake, There may be hope yet.



3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite cakes! I once made 4 in the space of a week due to popular demand. Yours looks so neat and perfect! I wish I could have a slice now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind seeing one of those sitting in my window. Nice job. I think I accidentally watched Nigella once, and I walked away with no impression good or bad. I have enough of these Food Network women in my life. There's no room at my inn for any more of them.

    ReplyDelete