Sunday 3 February 2013

Yorkshire Puddings

It is Yorkshire Pudding day. A day to celebrate that glorious puffed up pancake, a vessel for many a Sunday roast nationwide and a much better gravy holder than a weirdly shaped boat on the table.
However, while I have eaten my fair share and probably other peoples fair share as well I have never made them. Not sure why, probably thought they were too much of an hassle or too difficult to get decent results.

Well no more!

Having a dull moment on Sunday I was tweeted by the ever delightful @feastandglory to go and make some Yorkshire puddings, so I got out my trusty cookbooks to find a recipe.

The recipe is fairly standard in most books but I did pick up an interesting tip in the Milestone cookbook which suggested pouring the batter over ice for an instant chill, instead of sticking the batter in the fridge for an hour.

Yorkshire Puddings
Ingredients
100g plain flour
3 eggs
200ml milk
pinch of salt
oil or lard

Method
Preheat the oven to 200C (fan) and fill 6 muffin tin holes with about 5mm of oil or drop in a little chunk of lard.
Place in the oven until the oil is sizzling hot.
Whisk all the ingredients together until a smooth batter is formed.
Place a sieve with about 6 ice cubes in it over a jug. slowly pour the batter over the ice through the sieve.
Once the oil is sizzling hot, pour the batter into each hole until just below the rim.
Place into the oven for 25- 30 minutes.
Having no warning that I was making these, I lacked the required roast meats and stuff to go with it. However my heart lies with the pudding. So using left over poached rhubarb and it's syrup from this cake and some natural yoghurt a tasty pud was born.

Here's to the Yorkshire Pudding, long may it reign over Sunday dinner. Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Hi! We've recently launched the site www.Recipesup.com, on our website you can promote your blog Through facebook,twitter.com and pinterest. I invite you to go and take a look. Your blog will be in the top rank of Recipesup blogs. Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Lovely blog!
    www.recipesup.com
    www.cazarecetas.com

    Kinds Regards

    ReplyDelete