Wednesday 9 November 2011

Spiced Citrus Bean Soup - A Random Recipe

This months random recipe challenge was a little easier than last months global challenge, which involved me hiding under a duvet until the images of the dreaded ingredient went away. This month was a collaboration between Dom from Belleau Kitchen and Jac from Tinned Tomatoes who have teamed up to do a joint soup challenge.
After scouring my recipe books I appeared to be a bit thin on the ground with soup recipes, so I thought I would attempt it another way. I went to BBC Good Food and typed in soup. I then went to a random number generator and received the random number: 78. So off I went to scour the listings, hoping for a proper winter warmer, a quality soup that would be right up my street, maybe a nice minestroney style soup.....but no. Result number 78 was Spiced Citrus Bean Soup...*sighs*...ah well it might be nice.


Spiced Citrus Bean Soup
Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, sliced
450g Carrots, roughly chopped
1 tbsp garam masala
finger length of fresh root ginger, grated
juice of one orange
1L vegetable stock
200ml can reduced fat coconut milk
410g mixed beans, drained, rinsed
2 tbsp coriander, chopped


Method
Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
Gently cook the onions and carrots for 15 minutes until soft and golden.
Add the garam masala and ginger, cook for a further minute.
Add the juice and stock then bring to the boil.
Simmer for ten minutes until the carrots are tender then stir in the coconut milk.
Puree until smooth then stir in the beans.
Add the coriander and serve.

Verdict
Never again shall I judge a book by it's cover...or a soup by its name in this case. Turns out it was blooming lovely. Nice mix and balance of flavours brought together by creaminess of the coconut and perfect for this time of year. The recipe states to use reduced fat coconut milk but the normal stuff works just as well. I'll definitely be making this again.

5 comments:

  1. Looks fab, ginger and coconut milk - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I certainly would have skipped past this recipe just going by the title but when you said it was good I went back to look at the recipe again and the more I think about it, the more I think it would be good.
    I definitely think random recipes is great for making me try new things and be a bit more adventurous as a cook. Glad you liked this one! Great idea doing the internet search random recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks the LORD for that... I couldn't have stood the guilt for another month!... it does look lovely... I have a bean soup to make too, so i'm really looking forward to it now, thanks so much for taking part x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks good, I am glad you ventured out from under the duvet.

    Jac

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. came over from dom's! this sounds good, definitely shouldn't judge a book by its cover! and i'm all for using regular coconut milk, where's the joy in anything reduced fat ??

    ReplyDelete